Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Chilled Avocado, Cucumber, and Cilantro Summer Soup


I'm back!  I've been busy working on expanding my business and haven't had much time for keeping up with a blog.   I announced on my facebook business page that I was going to publish this recipe, and about 2 months later, here it is!  I came up with this recipe while planning for a large event that was held outdoors so I wanted to serve something cool and refreshing.  The flavors in this soup are bright and fresh and it’s very nutritious and cooling.  If you are planning on keeping this recipe in the fridge for a few days, make sure to add more citrus to keep color from fading and avocados from turning brown.



Chilled Avocado, Cucumber, and Cilantro Soup
Vegan, Gluten Free

2 avocados
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 white onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chilled rice milk (or any milk substitute)
1 Tbs. cooking oil (such as olive oil, grapeseed, etc.)
2 limes

In a skillet, heat oil until hot.  Add the onion and saute until transparent, about 3 minutes.  Add the minced garlic and cook until the garlic starts to brown.  Remove from heat. 

Place the avocados, cucumber, onion mixture, juice of one lime, and 1 cup of rice milk in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Keep adding the rice milk until you enjoy the consistency.  Add salt and pepper to taste. Add half of the cilantro into the processor and pulse a few times.  Place the soup into the refrigerator for one hour then stir in more cilantro and serve with lime wedges.  Enjoy!

This soup tastes excellent with hot sauce, especially chipotle sauce.  If I'm adding chipotle sauce, I like to add a little dollop of creme fraiche or greek yogurt for contrast. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Daisy,
    It's so nice to meet you. You have a wonderful blog that I will gladly follow. I also checked out your business' site. It seems that you are very passionate about your work. You are very lucky to have a job you enjoy.
    I have dreams of providing a similar service one day, but for now I cook healthy delicious vegetarian meals for my family and friends.
    This soup sounds great and I will definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete